On May 18th, 2020, the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security has just announced the notice of “Automatic extension of temporary residence” for foreigners in Vietnam.
- Foreigners who enter Vietnam on a visa-free, e-visas or travel visas from March 1st, 2020 will be automatically extended their temporary residence until June 30th, 2020. These foreigners will be free to leave Vietnam during the above period without having to apply for the extension of temporary residence.
- In case of entry before March 1st, 2020, if foreigners prove to be stuck in Vietnam due to Covid-19 epidemic and are certified by diplomatic note of Consulate/Embassy or by written confirmation of Vietnamese competent authorities on quarantine, treatment of Covid-19 or other force majeure reasons…, they will be also considered to apply “automatic extension of temporary residence” until June 30th, 2020. When leaving Vietnam, these foreigners must present diplomatic note or written confirmation mentioned above.
- Foreigners during the period of “automatical extension with temporary residence” must declare temporary residence and medical declarations according to regulations.
- Foreigners not eligible for automatic extension of temporary residence or having other law violations shall continue to comply with current provisions of Vietnamese laws.
- If there are any other arising problems, foreigners can contact the Immigration Department via phone number 0243.9387320 for assistance and guidance.
Therefore, in comparison with the previous regulations that foreigners in the above cases have to be guaranteed by the Embassy or Consulate General to carry out procedures of extension of temporary residence for a maximum of 30 days to wait for exit, the regulations of automatic extension of temporary residence actually creates favorable conditions, saves time and reduces procedures for foreigners to legally temporarily reside in Vietnam.
LEGAL ENTERPRISE DEPARTMENT – CIS LAW FIRM
109 Hoang Sa, Da Kao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
Phone: 028 3911 8581 – 0938 548 101
(Author – Tran Le Gia Bao – Cis Law Firm)